The Enrollment Management Association's Latest Report Examines Four Competitive Models that Will Impact Enrollment at Independent Schools in the U.S.
As independent schools make sense of the market forces which have been shaping their environment for years, another educational wave is crashing—this one bigger, faster, and more powerful than the last. This new wave of competition exploits technology in intriguing and powerful ways, leverages private capital in a manner not seen before, and stands on the shoulders of the maturing charter school movement, which has become far more diverse and robust than when it first came to independent schools’ attention more than a decade ago. These new alternatives do not compete by being different—except in price! They compete by going head-to-head with independent schools in their traditional areas of strength.
Sizing up the Competition: Exploring Educational Choice in Today’s Independent School Market explores four major categories of educational choice options for families: academically rigorous schools, deeper learning schools, personalized learning schools, and online schools. Our goal: to provide you with an in-depth perspective of the educational program offered at each model school, so that your school leadership team will have a better understanding of the specific competition posed by each type.
This report concludes with strategies for confronting the rising competition.
How can admission leaders use this report?
- Be sure you understand how these market forces are playing out (or not) in your region and identify and articulate the specific competition for your school
- Review the report with your admission team, assigning team members to research and explore what models are expanding in your area, or have the potential to affect enrollment trends
- Share your competitive analysis and this report with your:
- Head and board to facilitate this critical strategic enrollment management conversation
- Business officer and financial aid team to ensure a strategic focus on your tuition model
- Marketing team to address consistent communications and market differentiation
- Academic deans to disseminate learning across the institution